Homelessness is one of the big issues in society today and it knows no geographical boundaries.
And get this – they do it by printing 3D homes.
As you can imagine, a lot of hurdles come up while tackling such a large issue.
This week I’m talking with Kristen Harrington, Senior Manager of Partnerships for New Story. We discuss two things about how to tackle large problems that we face while working in a nonprofit:
- How we navigate our goals and outcomes is important
- The importance of mentorship
Ways to Navigate How You Run Your Nonprofit
- Think bold/think bigger
- Take obstacles and find the positive in it
- Have a creative and hardworking team
- Be transparent in the ups and the downs
Know the Power of Mentorship
Why is having a mentor a good idea within a nonprofit?
- Someone to bounce ideas off of
- Someone to ask questions
- They are an ally in the nonprofit world
- You can share partnership prospects
- They can provide helpful feedback
Who can be a mentor to come alongside you while you’re attempting to tackle a large problem?
Meet Kristen Harrington:
Kristen Harrington is passionate about people and purpose. As the Senior Manager of Partnerships at New Story, she leads a team to maximize global impact by cultivating new relationships with the world’s most generous companies.
Prior to joining New Story, Kristen helped lead the fundraising efforts of multi-million dollar campaigns for national organizations and even spent some time outside of the nonprofit sector at ESPN. She spends her free time with her husband, daughter, and two chocolate labs, looking for Atlanta’s best tacos and the next great adventure.
Connect with Kristen:
- New Story’s Website
(Photos courtesy of www.newstorycharity.org/)
Other Episodes Mentioned:
- The Value of Unexpected Mentors and 5 Ways to Find Them [Episode 26]
- Keys to Success as a Nonprofit Leader: Interview with Dr. Johnathan Kraus, Love Never Fails International [Episode 027]
- 6 Ways to Learn Grant Writing Skills When You’re a Nonprofit Volunteer [Episode 28]
- How to Start as a Grant Writer: Mindset and Strategy of Nonprofit Grant Writing [Episode 029]
- Why I Became a Nonprofit Grant Writer: Creating a Ripple Effect [Episode 030]
- Tips for Stepping Up Your Freelancing Success with Katherine Bright [Episode 031]
Free Audit: How Grant-Ready Is Your Nonprofit?
If you need support in your journey to excellence as a grant writer, I’d like to invite you to join me on the Fast Track to Grant Writer. Go to teresahuff.com/vip and start learning today.
Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Grant Writer? Take the Quiz:
If you’re ready to explore a career in grant writing, take my free quiz, “Do you have what it takes to be a grant writer?” People are always surprised at how many skills they already have. The distance isn’t as far as they thought. Let’s figure out how you can use your skills to help change your world.
If you’re ready to step up your nonprofit game, join me on the Fast Track to Grant Writer. The world needs you