Clarity Is the Key to Unlock Mastery
The last couple of weeks we’ve been talking about the importance of clarity. Before we can be effective in our work, we must a) be clear ourselves, and then b) be able to clearly convey that to others.
Today’s guest is on a journey to gain clarity so he can serve with excellence. You’ve heard me mention him several times on the show and I’ve often recommended his book Master of One. I’m honored to talk with Jordan Raynor, author, entrepreneur, and podcaster. He is passionate about the idea that our work matters for eternity, and he’s on a journey to help others discover how they can best serve with purpose.
Jordan shares so much wisdom for doing our work with excellence, setting clear goals, and growing a team.
You’ll find this interview inspiring and challenging to keep pursuing your path to mastery.
- Mastering one thing well instead of spreading too thin across many things
- The importance of clarity
- When to pivot vs. when to persevere
- Setting goals and collecting data to help make decisions
- OKR = Objectives and Key Results goal-setting framework
- Challenges of growing a team
- Getting the right people in the right seats and the importance of having A+ talent on your team
- Advice for those looking for clarity and purpose in their work
Jordan and I talked about several key areas in order to master our one thing well. Which one do you need to focus on the most right now?
If you enjoyed this episode, you can book a 1:1 strategy session with me at teresahuff.com/mentor. The world needs you out there making a difference!
Connect with me over on LinkedIn or send me a message. And if you need more support, join me on the Fast Track to Grant Writer already and let’s get you moving!
Meet Jordan Raynor
Jordan Raynor helps Christians respond to the radical, biblical truth that their work matters for eternity. He does this through his bestselling books (The Creator in You, Redeeming Your Time, Master of One, and Called to Create), podcast (Mere Christians), and weekly devotional (The Word Before Work)—content that has served millions of Christ-followers in every country on earth.
In addition to his writing, Jordan serves as the Executive Chairman of Threshold 360, a venture-backed tech startup which Jordan previously ran as CEO following a string of successful ventures of his own. Jordan has twice been selected as a Google Fellow and served in The White House under President George W. Bush.
A sixth-generation Floridian, Jordan lives in Tampa with his wife and their three young daughters. The Raynors are proud members of The Church at Odessa.
Connect with Jordan:
The Word Before Work – www.jordanraynor.com/twbw
Free Audit: How Grant-Ready Is Your Nonprofit?
Are you feeling overwhelmed with trying to help your nonprofit apply for grants? Go through the free audit and I’ll help you sort out the next steps for your organization.
Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Grant Writer? Take the Quiz:
If you’re ready to explore a career in grant writing, take my free quiz, “Do you have what it takes to be a grant writer?” People are always surprised at how many skills they already have. The distance isn’t as far as they thought. Let’s figure out how you can use your skills to help change your world.
- Jordan Raynor’s books: The Creator in You, Redeeming Your Time, Master of One, and Called to Create
- No Rules Rules: Netflix and the Culture of Reinvention by Reed Hastings and Erin Meyer
- The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
- Quote: “The people on this planet who end up doing nothing are those who never realized they couldn’t do everything.” – Kevin DeYoung
- New Story Charity with Brett Hagler
- Episode 95: 5 Tips to Improve Your Grant Writing Clarity
- Episode 96: Strategy Call: Gaining Clarity for a Nonprofit’s Next Steps
- Wondering how to find grants and keep up with all the applications? Check out Instrumentl! It’s a robust grant search, tracking, and project management tool. Go to teresahuff.com/instrumentl and use the code GWSPOD for a free two-week trial AND $50 off your first month