We Are More Than Grant Writers
Our job is so much more than just writing grants. Often it’s about building relationships, supporting a nonprofit in other fundraising or development projects, and evaluating programs to provide accurate reports.
Listen to the full podcast episode as I share examples of each area.
6 Ways to Build Positive Relationships with Donors and Grant Funders:
- They are the expert in their grant programs, so be respectful of their feedback.
- Do your homework so you can ask intelligent questions.
- Send them photos and friendly updates to show the impact you’re making.
- Show your appreciation by tagging them on social media and mention them when you’re sharing about your programs. If you want an amazing example, check out thestore.org‘s social profiles.
- Turn in your applications and reports in on time, and proactively communicate any issues along the way.
- Become a good storyteller. Remember the 3 Cs: Clear, Concise, Compelling.
The same goes for building relationships with grant funders or donors. There is a person on the other side of everything. You’re not talking to a stack of money. Talk to the person.
- Episode 20: How to Increase Your Chances of Winning a Grant: Tips to Improve Your Grant Writing Success
- Upcoming Episodes: Stay tuned for a series on building your nonprofit consulting business coming up in August